General Motors is releasing a model year update for its Cruze compact sedan. There are no styling changes as the company focused its attention on improving the car’s fuel economy and equipment features.
Thanks to a lower axle ratio for the 2012 models equipped with a six speed automatic transmission, the standard Cruze with the 138HP 1.4-liter turbocharged engine returns 38 mpg compared with 36 mpg for the current model, while the Cruze Eco with the same powetrain setup delivers 39 mpg instead of 37 mpg.
The Cruze Eco with the standard six-speed manual gearbox remains unchanged for 2012 returning 42 mpg on the highway.
Other than that, GM has enhanced the standard features across the range with the addition of Bluetooth phone connectivity, USB port, steering wheel-mounted audio controls, cruise control, leather-wrapped steering wheel and a leather-wrapped shift knob. These features were part of the $525 Connectivity Plus Cruise option package on 2011 models. According to the Detroit automaker, the option was ordered by 90 percent of American customers.
“Chevrolet is committed to responding to what customers want and making it easier for them,” said Rick Scheidt, vice president of Chevrolet marketing. “Adding these previously optional features streamlines the ordering process and answers the call of what our customers told us should be standard.”
Additional standard equipment on the 2012 Cruze includes:
- Remote keyless entry
- Air conditioning
- Audio system with AM/FM/CD and MP3 playback
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio with three-month trial service
- Driver information center with average and instant fuel economy feedback, tire pressure readout, oil life remaining and more
- Rear defogger
- Power windows
- Fuel-saving rack mounted electric power steering.
New equipment on the 2012 Cruze includes:
- Keyless entry and keyless start available on 2LT and standard on LTZ
- Touch screen navigation system with 7” color display available on Eco, 2LT and LTZ
- 16-inch five-spoke machined-face alloy wheels are standard on 1LT
- 17-inch five-spoke alloy wheels with four-wheel disc brakes are standard on 2LT
- Compact spare tire and wheel standard on all models except Eco with manual transmission and 1FL (fleet)
- Fog lamps are standard on LTZ
- Exterior colors: Blue Granite Metallic, Blue Topaz Metallic and Victory Red (with RS appearance package only)
Cruze’s standard safety features include:
- Ten standard air bags – the most in the segment – including frontal, head curtain side air bags, front and outboard rear-seat side-impact air bags and knee air bags
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control with rollover sensing, traction control and anti-lock brakes
- Collapsible pedal system, which allows the pedals to detach during a crash to reduce the risk of leg or ankle injuries
- OnStar with Automatic Crash Response.